Sunday, March 16, 2014

Reflections on a Week Spent in the Navajo Nation


After spending the past week in the Navajo Nation, I am filled with respect for the people of the Navajo Nation for the abuses they have suffered in the past and for how they continue to fight to keep alive their history and traditions. I found the Navajo reverence for nature, family, and morality to be extremely commendable, and I hope to carry the lessons taught to me by the Navajo Nation with me for the rest of my life. The Navajo Nation believes that “fundamental law” (which basically boils down to law of nature) should be given much greater deference than “man-made law”. At first, I found this distinction to be confusing, until my supervisor explained that men are fallible and that nature cannot be changed, and therefore must be considered before any code or regulation. This distinction really changed my perspective on what is right and what is wrong, and will give me pause in the future to consider ethics and morality and the impact on nature when carrying out man-made law.
I spent the week clerking at the Navajo Nation Supreme Court and working on a labor dispute. After about fifteen minutes in the office, my supervisor handed me a case file and told me to get to work on recommending a decision for an appeal from the Navajo Nation Labor Commission. After my initial apprehension in deciding a case based on a code I was unfamiliar with, I was struck by the respect given to Navajo employees through the Navajo Preference in Employment ACT (“NPEA”), which mandates that employers give employees written notice and just cause for termination, since employment is treated as a property right in the Navajo Nation. The NPEA codifies issues of morality inherent in Navajo fundamental law by demonstrating respect for the individual and the individual’s place in society through employment law. In the end, I wrote a memorandum decision that I feel encapsulates the concept of fundamental law by requiring that the statute of limitations for filing a claim against an employer is linked to the mandatory written notice of termination, since this action respects both the employee and the Navajo Code. 
Although I learned a great deal about the law throughout my week at the Navajo Nation Supreme Court, the most significant aspect of the trip for me was being able to strengthen old friendships and gain new ones. My supervisors, Michael and LaVerne, were incredibly kind, hospitable, and knowledgeable, and I am so grateful for the time they took to teach me about law, Navajo Nation history, and life. I am also in awe of my incredible colleagues on the trip, who are passionate, generous, crazy smart, and on their way to changing the world. I feel richer for knowing all of these people and I feel inspired by them to do my part to make the world a better place. This week has been one of the best of my life and I am extremely appreciative of this opportunity.

Erin Mee





No comments:

Post a Comment