Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Window Rock & Legalizing Alcohol in Navajo Nation

          It has passed three days since I got here in Navajo nation. My life here is a totally new one I have never experienced before. To get here, we have been through a lot of adventures.  After plane delays, waiting, midnight driving, we are finally in Navajo Nation.  We are supposed to work at Navajo government braches such as Supreme Court, DOJ, etc.

            My work place is Tax Commission equivalent to IRS. The first assignment is a research of states alcohol tax and regulations. These days Navajo is considering to legalize alcohol(yes, you heard me. Alcohol is illegal in Navajo Nation). Because Navajo Nation is located in Arizona and New Mexico, comparative research is required to give accurate and good advice to the government officials for their decisions. And I worked on drafting new sales tax laws on alcohol.

             After work, we climbed the Window Rock. It is actually a rock with a window(big hole). Navajo Nation’s capital named after this nature monument. Rock climbing was harder than it looked. Against all odds, we stood at the top of the Window Rock at last. It gave us an unforgettable beautiful sunset and memories. I am excited to meet another wonderful adventures waiting for me.

Kyu Seob Lee








 

No comments:

Post a Comment