Monday, January 21, 2013

My History With New Orleans


 Phil Sitter
          New Orleans and I have history.  Until this trip, I did not really reflect on the fact that I have now been to New Orleans five times in the past six years:  including three times to do volunteer work (on one occasion living in the area for two months), and once to visit Tulane, to consider whether I wanted to do law school there.  I never thought much about the frequency of my visits, because each time I left to go back to whatever place I called home at the time, I felt my next visit could not come soon enough. 
            I have grown in and alongside the city itself.  More than watching New Orleans’ post-Katrina recovery process, I have actively played a role in it, and I have let this involvement steer and power the course of my life.  All of my beliefs about nature, materialism, good and evil, manhood, social justice, the role of government, and individual responsibility in society, among other topics, have to a large extent been defined by my experiences in New Orleans.  I have let those beliefs influence every major decision I have made since my first time volunteering in New Orleans in 2007, from deciding where to go to college to where to go to law school.  I leapt at the chance to go on the Action for Human Rights trip down to New Orleans, as soon as I heard about it at WCL.  I was chasing the satisfaction and direction rebuilding work gives me, especially at a crossroads in my life (where I think a lot of people are after their first semester in law school), and also wanting to continue following the recovery of the city, helping where I could. 
            It was my first and only visit to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans while I was visiting Tulane University Law School last March that convinced me to do law school at WCL, pursuing human rights, probably with an international direction.  After this alternative winter break trip, however, I am, if not re-considering, then re-evaluating everything.  As I have grown over the past semester, so has my understanding of what New Orleans needs to survive and thrive.  I came down expecting to do more rebuilding work (which I did do for a day at the St. Bernard Project), expecting to feel good about getting another family or two back into the homes they have been denied for over seven years, but knowing that somehow, so many more dilapidated houses and empty lots wait for their residents to return, even after all this time and so much spent energy.  I leave New Orleans with a much deeper understanding of why this latter fact is so, and what I can do as a future member of the legal profession to help change it.  I realize now the extent to which human rights concerns are a major issue in the United States, as well as internationally.   
            I believe without question that the human rights of thousands of citizens of the United States of America, the country with the best legal system on the planet, if not in all of history, have been continuously violated before, during, and after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.  The storm only revealed and exasperated the neglect and exploitation already at play in the city: crumbling infrastructure; broken educational institutions; predatory land dealings; corruption and abuses at all levels of government, especially in the law enforcement, judicial, and political institutions; all of it often involving racial and economic discrimination.  All of this can be summated into two concise legal issues, which I have witnessed before the alternative winter break trip, but that I now understand more deeply: a lack of transparency in the legal system, and a need for a re-thinking of legal ethics.
            Billions of dollars have poured into New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.  Yet, after seven years, there are few, if any consistent results in the recovery process.  Yes, the French Quarter was up and running again almost immediately after the storm hit, but some of the city’s other neighborhoods are still in shambles, and nearly physically uninhabitable in many instances.  In the Lower Ninth Ward, where I was placed at Lower Ninth Ward Village, streets have gone to gravel, manhole covers are missing, utility service is spotty, with many leaks in the system, and there is little to no police presence.  The one nearby school is a charter school, so most of the neighborhood’s children must be bused out every day to go to different schools.  Looming over all of this is an uncertainty in the strength of the rebuilt levee system, which in the Lower Ninth Ward, would not even protect the neighborhood from a storm surge of Katrina’s height. 
            There seems to be a general popular consensus that a corrupt city government wants conditions in the Lower Ninth Ward to become so unbearable that its residents give up fighting and leave, allowing for re-development of the area into gentrified prime real estate.  Whether this is true is one matter, but another more pressing one is simply that no one can have an answer either way.  No one knows where all the money is going, and why it has not reached the people who need it.  No one knows the reasons behind why the city is passing ordinances allowing it to aggressively seize private lots, after charging the owners of these lots thousands of dollars in fines first for minor “offenses” like not mowing the yard while residing out of state, unable to return home.  There is simply a wall of silence and bureaucracy no one can get through to seek answers, money, or if nothing else, closure.  Where is the legal oversight?  Where are the auditors for the city, state, and all of the non-profits?  Who is fact-checking the auditors? 
            Another issue is that even if it is perfectly legal for the city to re-develop a neighborhood as it pleases, is that ethical?  How is the conflict between the legal rights of local government and corporate entities and the legal and human rights of a community ultimately resolved?  At what point does it become the responsibility of government, using the law, to help people come home after being displaced, even if this interferes with the economic desires of developers?  I do not have the answers to these questions after this trip.  All I know is that these questions have to start seriously being asked, and I want to be in a position to ask them and command answers out of people, rather than simply demanding them.  I want to keep writing this history between New Orleans and I, now with a legal mind.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment